Sunday, August 7, 2011

Bones on Sunlight

I just realized I forgot to post these paintings from last week:

Fox Skull and Daliahs
Butterfly with Antique lace print.

Fish skeleton and begonias. All fish bones were painstakingly cut out by hand with an x-acto knife. The cream color of the skeleton is the natural color of the wood beneath.

The blue paper is a wonderful call back to my childhood - Sunprint paper! My mom used to make these amazing prints with me when I was little and I thought they would be perfect for the show. They use a simple photographic process to harness the UV rays of the sun to make a print.

First you lay out your design on the paper (which starts out light blue):


Then you expose it to the sun for 2 minutes or until the paper turns white and the silhouettes turn blue underneath:


Afterward, you stick the paper in a tray of water and lemon juice. When the paper is dry, it will be a dark blue and the silhouettes will be white. The paper in this photo is the one used in the butterfly painting:


Thanks MOM for such creative projects way back when and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! Love you!

2 comments:

  1. My Mom's birthday is August 7 too!
    Awesome pieces, Erin! I love the multi-media. That fish is just sleeping, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Weird! And my mom's name is Sue!

    ReplyDelete