Saturday, February 12, 2011

Crayfish in Oils

Crayfish!!

So I know what you're thinking.... Didn't she say she was going to finish that Emily painting and the self portrait? Whats with all this new stuff?

.... I'm having a bit of a hard time focusing. I think the problem is that I have so many ideas that I'm excited about. As a result, I am working on paintings just long enough to do the interesting parts and then jumping to the next fun thing. I guess this is fine as long as I eventually go back and finish the boring parts!

Anyway, today's distraction is a painting of a crayfish inspired by Sue's little crayfish creamer. All in all, this little painting took about an hour and a half. I set a timer so that I could force myself to make quick, bold paint decisions.

Here are the in-progress shots:
Drawing on an acrylic washed gesso-board
Pickle paint! I have to say, painting this stage was incredible enjoyable and satisfying. Hooray pickle paint!
Added Burnt Umber acrylic speckles with a stiff brush. I normally would have done this with a cheap blue toothbrush I've had for years, but I can't find it!
Oil paint



I am SO happy with this little bugger! Crayfish up close are surprisingly beautiful and much more green than you'd think. This particular guy will get a coating of beeswax on top, which I will draw into like an etching (when you use beeswax in artwork it's called Encaustic). I'm trying to mimic the feel of a pond - with a definitive surface and bottom. It will be scary to cover this crayfish with the wax because I am so proud of him, but I think it will be worth it... I hope!

Sue was wondering if there is ever a moment where we painters, like potters (who daily battle the kiln gods for successful pieces), have to take blind leaps of faith with our artwork that could ruin it or make it great. Sue, this is definitely one of those moments!!

1 comment:

  1. He's awesome!
    I hope he becomes a recurring character in our show.

    ReplyDelete