Sunday, February 6, 2011

New Painting

Get Excited! Starting in with the oils tomorrow.....

Underpainting in Burnt Umber acrylic paint. 


This painting is HUGE! 24x36. Lots of negative space though. The picture above is just a snippet of it.

This is a self portrait, which feels kinda weird actually. I'm having a hard time looking at the painting objectively. Maybe it will be different when I start adding color. This will have a pretty cool color scheme, with a lot of grays, yellows, and browns.

The Coral ground color is from a newly mixed batch of "pickle paint", which is a mixture of gesso and acrylic paint that gives a colored background while creating enough tooth to draw directly on the surface. The term "pickle paint" was coined by my mentor Nancy since she keeps hers in a glass pickle jar! I like to do the same....
Although the coral jar is from handmade Mango salsa!
My Ragdoll cat Mika has been playing on the floor all night with these little paper scraps in his brown paper bag. He's super happy!

He takes breaks from the bag every so often to rub against my paintbrush while I'm painting. Cute, but SO not helpful!


No comments:

Post a Comment