Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Fish Stories

Some pictures about fish I've known...

This guy has always hung in my parents' house. He's a Wananish (a landlocked salmon). Dad caught it the year before he was married, on a fishing trip in Quebec. We call it "The Fish," as in, "don't touch The Fish!"

He and my mom liked to go fishing together. Sometimes they'd catch juvenile fish that they'd bring home to live in their 20 gallon aquarium. This is "Junior," a bluegill. He was apparently fast and difficult to photograph.

My parents took us four kids on fishing trips to area lakes and ponds... Here's Dad with my younger brother.

There were always fish in our aquarium... Guppies!

Even now I keep pet fish. I like how some (like goldfish, guppies, and bettas) are very tame and will swim right up to me, while others (like my catfish, licorice gourami, and algae eater) never lose their wildness and always skitter away. I make portraits of my favorites: here's a female betta with two dwarf rasbora...
... and here's a trio of betta sculptures.

Once I make some headway on my tableware sets, I plan to re-visit sculpture... I'm thinking platters with sculptural fishes.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, awesome post Sue! Do I sense the presence of a new computer??

    See you in a few hours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to add to Ron's "awesome post" comment. :) This is such a great entry, Sue! Brings back so many fond memories of that aquarium. Remember the "goldfish" (or so we thought) we adopted from a friend that grew to be ENORMOUS and lived for years in that tank? Wish you had a pic of that one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am definitely enjoying your website. You definitely have some great insight and great stories.
    fish finders

    ReplyDelete