Sunday, March 13, 2011

Phipps Conservatory



Today while visiting my brother in Pittsburgh where he goes to school, I had the chance to experience something special - the Phipps Conservatory. This immense Victorian-era greenhouse is home to hundreds of species of plants from all over the world and is literally next to the Pitt and Carnegie-Melon campuses . Touring it is truly a magical experience. Here are a few of my favorite photos from the day:

Lovely statues everywhere
There were several Dale Chihuly sculptures hidden among the plants, as well a s huge chandelier in the foyer
In the Bonsai Room
Bonsai!
This is a Cocoa Plant! Really cool.
The Orchid room was one of my favorites. I took a ton of photos!
Orchid room
Orchid room
Orchid room
There were this thin ghost-like glass sculptures all over the orchid room. You don't notice them at first, which really adds to the experience I think.
Orchid room (again)
Orchid room (again)
This is called a stag horn fern. It was so neat looking!
Puff balls....
...From the powder puff tree!
Another Dale Chihuly
Gorgeous orchid installation and cherub sculptures
I really liked the Victorian-ness of this vase
Another cherub sculpture
Love this
Wish we could have walked through this room, but it was closed off. If you look closely (or click) you can see the goddess sculptures on the other end of the room.
I loved the people watching too! It was neat to see them experience it with me
The cactus room - very neat!
Cactus room again.
This is called a "swiss cheese" plant!

My mom and brother were getting a little annoyed at all my picture taking!!


I am so glad to visit the Phipps Conservatory and am looking forward to doing some drawings and paintings based off the photos I took. If you're ever in Pittsburgh, be sure to stop by and "Encounter something of the secret life of plants".

No comments:

Post a Comment