Monday, March 7, 2011

Bluegill bowls, Karen's Jar, and polka dots

I finished the above bowl last month... I wasn't happy with it at all: the fish looks stiff. I should have washed the painting off and tried again, but I fired the bowl instead. There are no "backsies" in pottery.

Here's a second attempt on a new bowl (in progress). I like this one much better!

Karen's Jar is all ready for its glaze firing. I wonder how it will turn out? I wish Karen were here... I would have asked her for advice about glazing.

I've started to glaze the brown dotted ware. I'm concerned about the clay body: it contains rather large iron specks which may compete with the dot pattern. The dotted ware is quick and interesting to make, but I don't feel as emotionally invested in it as I do in the painted ware. Might be nice to take it easy for a little while.

2 comments:

  1. Hooray! These look amazing!
    Looking forward to seeing you on Thursday!

    Oh - also, Eileen is angry with you for not submitting to the juried show. She says that you still have until 2:30 tomorrow though, so hop to it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look great Sue. I like both fish bowls. I like the new color scheme on the mugs as well. So when you fired the first fish bowl, is that good or bad for the bowl? :)

    ReplyDelete