Saturday, March 12, 2011

Dots

Hey look! The dotted mugs turned out much better than I expected. I'm hard at work glazing some more of the brown pieces.

I'm applying iron oxide to the pots first, which gives them that nice purpley-brown background. I'm glazing in my kitchen, but I really need to give some more thought to studio safety and not contaminate food surfaces with dust and chemicals. It's funny how many kitchen appliances and utensils get commandeered for the greater good (like Erin's Foreman grill and cake pan). And now I've sacrificed my whole kitchen.

Here's the finished bluegill bowl. I don't remember making the fish so yellow, but there it is. The clear glaze pinholed a bit, which is a bummer. Either the surface was a little dusty when I applied it, or it's applied too thickly. I seem to have the problem more often when I use sage glaze on the outside.

Lastly, here's Karen's jar. I'm not ready to be finished with the project. There are some parts and color choices I don't like (I wish I'd used a darker green for the background), so I'll fuss with it some more and make another.

No comments:

Post a Comment