Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Tin Fish

I found these 4 chippy, rusty tin ceiling tiles at a local hipster antique flea-market thing called "Stash Style" (which was actually pretty amazing, check out their upcoming events here).



I stared at them for about a month or so before I had an epiphany at a local hibachi restaurant. Koi fish! Of course! No, while not exactly a northern Ohio species, they are a common backyard pond fish, so I think they fit the show.


Each tile got a coat of sage green pickle paint, which helps seal it from the oils.


 
Here is the first painted fish. I think that these will have coats of wax and maybe collage before they are 100% finished though.


 Jade bead is from the fantastic "bead paradise" store in Oberlin, OH. It will be sewn on the finished piece.

3 comments:

  1. Erin that is beautiful! Impressed ..... can't wait to see the finished product. You should teach a class on this process, it looks fun. My friend Jen Whitten that you meet at the ceramics show teaches beading at Bead Paradise and I love that store.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ellen,
    Thanks! Glad you like it. I actually am teaching a 5 week class on this technique (and others like it) on Tuesdays this October at Bay. Hope you can come!
    :) Erin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice!
    I love that the background is just like "light green shino" glaze.

    ReplyDelete