Thursday, May 26, 2011

Glazed

The bird plates came out pretty good...
Here's the chipping sparrow

and the goldfinch

and the vireo

and the house finch.

"Frog and Toad" is my favorite, I think.

Here's the back.

I also glazed the porcelain test cups. I'm disappointed that the clay color isn't particularly white, but the unglazed bottoms feel nicer than stoneware.

I painted teeny fish inside all of them.

I love the forest green glaze, but it has a tendency to craze. (On stoneware too. Not just porcelain.) Can you see the hairline cracks in the glaze surface? There's a big "U" shaped one in the middle. The cracks would indicate that the glaze doesn't quite "fit" the clay body. What a shame... it's such a fabulous bottle glass green color.

Chun Red is also an iffy glaze, but with great potential. Where it's thin, it's a pale pistachio color. Where it's thickish, it's bright red, and where it's very thick, it's darker green. Trouble is, when the glaze is so thick it has a tendency to run. Look at how blobby it got around the foot of this test cup. I'm glad the glaze didn't run onto the kiln shelf!

So what color glaze will I use on the porcelain pieces? I'm still thinking... Probably the light green... Maybe the robin's egg blue... Maybe even Chun Red.

No comments:

Post a Comment