Tuesday, January 25, 2011

It's easy to go overboard with ladybugs


I've been working on a dinnerware set that features fragile little creatures hiding in the undergrowth. I enjoy the surprise of finding fish among pond weeds, a frog in the grass, a toad on a wet sidewalk. These are animals you could catch and cup in your hands if you're quick and careful. I want people to think about these things and have these kinds of experiences when they handle my tableware.

I thought some bits of red would nicely set off a pair of American toads on a sugar bowl... So I panted some ladybugs and immediately regretted it. They were way too cute. Would stinkbugs be better?

This fellow visited my sister's bathroom counter top last month. He and his friends have been making nuisances of themselves indoors, but they have handsome rust-colored spots around the edges of their carapaces and interesting striped antennae.


Do toads eat stinkbugs? According to wiki.answers: "Yes." But frogs will not. Picky.