Sunday, January 23, 2011

Animal Inspiration

Today I took a trip to the Lake Erie Nature and Science Center, which is only a short walk from the BayArts Campus where our show will be in February 2012 (and is also where the pottery studio is located).

The Nature center is a wonderful educational resource which is free and is practically in my backyard! Is is a great way to get up close and personal with many Ohio animals. I was thrilled to find so many great drawing subjects. Local artists - seriously, this is an awesome drawing opportunity!

A few of my favorite Ohio animals (I am trying to stay local for the show):
Turtles (Painted I think)

Snapping Turtle! Will definitely have to go back and draw this guy.

One legged goose

Tiny Screech Owl

My Favorite of the day! This red fox came right up to me and was very interested in what was going on. There was a black one as well, but he was a little camera shy.

Sooo cute

White Tailed Deer

Red Tailed Hawks

Here are a few sketches I made at the center toward the end of my visit:



I'm going to try to make an effort to visit the center often. It is free, super close, and has tons of things to draw. I really have no excuse. It will be nice to sketch outside when its warmer too! Look for more drawings to come.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful photos! ...all creatures great and small...

    Hmmm. Where's the wild Scottish Terrier? (Answer: On the couch barking at the creatures through the picture window. Ha!)

    ReplyDelete