Sunday, November 17, 2019

Ocarina attempts

I've been experimenting with making ocarinas of various sizes.

In varying degrees of completion. They're all turtles.
Some work better than others, and glazing them has been a challenge. The turtle on the right doesn't work at all, due to a clogged windway caused by running glaze.
My ocarinas are based on a tutorial design I found in "From Mud to Music" by Barry Hall.

Some finished ocarinas. I'm working toward a 4-hole working model, which should allow for a full octave. But so far the ocarina stops sounding whenever I add a fourth hole.

This is the best ocarina so far. It has three fingering holes.
It sounds pretty good -- a sound demo is below.

For the record, I do not play ocarina. I was going to attempt "Mary had a Little Lamb" but I lost my nerve.