Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Happy fish are a small, good thing

I took a break from pottery this week to work on an issue that's troubling one of my aquariums...

The pygmy gourami are fine, and so are the dwarf rasbora. They're delightful little fish.

The problem lies with Erik, a Chinese Algae eater. He deserves his species' bad reputation as a digger. He's uprooting all of the plants!

Here is Erik, studying his reflection in the aquarium glass. According to various sources, he's trying to excavate a cave for himself. The only solution is to present him with a fabulous hiding spot. Luckily, I have the skills and technology.

I made a cave for Erik, and also one for Ani. Who's Ani?

Ani's a beautiful bristlenose catfish. Thank you for asking.

(S)he lives in guppy central, also known as the "South American Tank."

The caves, when finished, will be partially buried and covered in aquarium gravel. There are dips in the roofs for plants to grow, and I'll glaze the insides a dark color so Erik and Ani feel secure. I hope the caves will make my bottom feeders happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment